Monday, January 17, 2005

Prodromal Labor

I certainly had never heard of this. It never came up with Dakota, although supposedly it is more common in first pregnancies, as opposed to later ones.

"Uncertainty is the hallmark of prodromal labor. It's hard to know if it's the real thing or what to do about it. True labor is characterized by progressive dilation and effacement of the cervix. False labor eventually goes away. Unfortunately, prodromal labor does neither. Little cervical change occurs, but it seems to go on forever. It's as though the uterus is stuck in low gear. Thankfully, at some point - usually less than 24 hours but possibly as long as 2 or 3 days - a shift into high gear happens and labor progresses toward delivery."

http://www.maternitycenter.com/articles/labor5.html

I am officially 38 weeks today. That makes me in my 39th week. Babies are usually born between 38 and 42 weeks. Dakota was born at 38 weeks. True, she was induced due to my pregnancy induced hypertension, but still, she was 8 1/2 lbs! Jason is going to be bigger.

In short, I am DONE! He is DONE! Let this baby out!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***
sorry about the crazy pregnant lady rant. It is just that because I have done this before, I know the difference between real contractions and Braxton Hicks (fake) contractions. And a week of this has been NO FUN.

I have another appointment tomorrow morning. I swear if I have not progressed any further, my mom will need to drive me straight to the Ben & Jerry's around the corner to stop my weeping.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants